Each June, Men’s Health Month is recognized with a goal of heightening awareness of preventable health problems and encouraging early detection and treatment of disease among men.
Through screenings, health fairs, educational initiatives and various outreach activities, men are made aware of the importance of seeking regular medical advice and early treatment for disease and injury.
A disease that the American Cancer Society estimates will be diagnosed in more than 15,000 men in Texas in 2015, prostate cancer touches the lives of many. For those facing a prostate cancer diagnosis or know someone recently diagnosed with the disease, seeking information to understand the condition and treatment options available may ease feelings of anxiety and assist in making an informed decision.
Below is a list of questions to consider asking your urologist if you’ve been diagnosed with prostate cancer:
• What are all of the treatment options for my stage of prostate cancer?
• What are the benefits and drawbacks of the type of therapy you are recommending?
• What are the common side effects of the treatments recommended and when do they occur?
• What can I do to improve the success of my therapy?
• What is the chance that my cancer may spread beyond the prostate? Additionally, what is the cure rate for this type of cancer?
If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with prostate cancer, contact Austin CyberKnife to find out whether CyberKnife® can be integrated into your treatment plan. To learn more, check out our prostate cancer blog series or visit the Men’s Health Month website.
This is not intended as medical advice to replace the expertise and judgment of your health care team. It is intended to help you and your family make informed decisions, together with your doctor.